A lady approaches her priest and tells him, “Father, I must confess, I have a problem. I have two female talking parrots, but they only know how to say one thing.”
“What do they say?” asked the priest.
“They only know how to say, “Hi, we’re prostitutes. Want to have some fun?”
“That’s terrible!” the priest exclaimed, “but I have a solution for it. Bring your two female parrots to my house and I will put them with my two male talking parrots that I have taught to pray and read the bible. My parrots will teach your parrots to stop saying that terrible phrase and learn to praise and worship.”
The next day the woman brings her female parrots to the priest’s house. His two male parrots are holding rosary beads and praying in their cage. The lady puts her two female parrots with the male parrots.
“Hi, we’re prostitutes, want to have some fun?” repeated the female parrots, as usual.
One male parrot looks over at the other male parrot and exclaims, “Put the beads away. Our prayers have been answered!”
– Unknown Author
Are you shopping for positive emotions when you feel empty inside? How much joy do you feel during your day?
I have mentioned, from time to time, that we are human – we are not meant to be perfect beings.
To be human, we are open to all sorts – we make mistakes, we triumph, we become greedy… We know when we do it and what feeling you get from it is personal.
Whether you believe in a God, the Source, a higher, divine self or being, we all can relate to a form of self-awareness or spirituality.
There must be some great purpose in life, for the greater good, or wanting and needing to do things to feel fulfilled and complete.
In reading up to this point of this article, I am sure you are trying to respond by figuring out how your habits of shopping correlates to your spirituality.
Do you find yourself in these situations?
- You go into a shop ‘just to have a look’. You tell yourself ‘there’s no harm in trying’. The next thing you know, you are buying everything (the shop assistant said ‘that looks really good on you’). You always feel the need to fill up that extra space in your wardrobe or cupboards in the house.
- You think that it’s a good idea to buy clothes one size smaller to encourage yourself to lose weight. You do this every time, finding every other excuse to go shopping, and when you have done so it has given you a feeling like you are on a high and have fulfilled an important ‘mission’.
- You have had financial difficulties while growing up. Now that you have the dough, you use it to purchase a load of things on your constantly updated ‘list of must-haves’ to feel complete – because now, you have everything!
This ‘attitude’ may not just apply to clothes, but also accessories, electronics, gadgets… even eating food. What puts them all together is how they are all done to fill in that feeling of emptiness – the more you do it, the more ‘full’ or complete your life would seem. However so, as quickly as that good fulfilling feeling comes, it goes away just as quick (which is why you end up stuck in this cycle)!
The truth that we all must learn is that when we feel empty inside, no gadgets, clothes or food would ever fill it up. What will, is remembering the essence of whom we are, by acknowledging that we are spiritual beings, and learning that mistakes are part of the game that makes the human experience.
In my S.P.I.R.A.L group-coaching program, I teach my clients to understand that we are whole beings since the day we were born because we are divine in all our aspects.
I also show them how to let go of patterns we often develop with our externals to fill an internal gap (such as shopping, eating and drinking).
- Stop the negative, or worrying thoughts. When you are feeling down or depressed, this also lowers your spiritual energy. What’s the point in focusing your energy on something inevitable or don’t really know about? Simply surrounding yourself with positive people and reading inspirational stories can do you wonders. NLP and energy tools offer quick fixes from the inside out, try it by giving yourself a FREE sample prosperity session!
- Meditation. It is one of the best ways to help you understand and feel your spiritual energy. When you clear and relax your mind, it can lead you to easily answer your own difficult questions. By feeling your spiritual energy, you also focus more on yourself other than relying on externals to make you feel complete.
- Praying. It might not necessarily mean that you pray to God or a higher being – it can be to spiritual yourself. By praying, you reinforce faith and strength in what you believe in, and that gives you a better sense of being. The parrots aren’t the best of example. But hey, there is some truth in it, but all in good humor!
- Work out: Physical exercise has a chemical impact on our brain well being and emotions, why not choose this path which offers so many advantages?
- Talk to your loved ones. Being in touch with them and knowing that you can always turn to them for support can also allow you to feel whole and complete.
You would also feel better, when you are able to do the same for them! What are you waiting for to learn to be fulfilled no matter the outside circumstances?